Marco’s Italian Restaurant & Pizzeria in Marietta, PA comes from a line of family restaurants dating back four generations.
Beginning in Italy, at Sardi’s Restaurant and Hotel, great-grandma Sebastiana Sardi operated her family businesses. Marco’s father, Marco Sr., would spend his summers there learning the family business. He later apprenticed as a baker at his uncle’s bakery in Marciana Marina, Elba. He became chief baker after 4 years and took first place in a bakery competition with over 100 bakeries. Arriving in America in the early 1940s, he worked at his father’s restaurant, G. Sardi’s Ristorante, in Manhattan. Later, he opened The Michelangelo on 63rd St. aside the Copacabana in 1959.
In 1965, he came to Lancaster and opened Casa di Sardi’s in Columbia. By 1974, he opened Marco’s Restaurant and Pizzeria in Marietta, and the business continues serving the area the same authentic Italian foods.